So, over 2 years ago I posted my last blog here. in those 27+ months a lot has occurred and a lot of changes have taken place, some for them for the best. I guess I need to summarise what has been going on since then.
I could run through a million reasons as to why I stopped blogging, mostly due to work commitments and my reluctance to sit and type a long spiel after I got home. but that should all hopefully change for the better now as long as I keep “to the company line” in regards social media 🙂
I was involved in a lot of stuff in the past 2 years for work, most of it being upgrades and implementations of new technologies like:
- Installing a virtualised Citrix Xenapp 5 farm to replace an aging and bug riddled Citrix PS4.0 farm with consultants. our first dabbling with a proper vSphere 4.0 environment and ESX 4 hosts.
- Upgrading all the 450 odd desktop computers from the old reliable Windows XP images, to a new fresh Windows 7 install using MDT2010 and some physical drive cloning hardware to assist with the remote offices.
- Changing the companies old ID cards which were hand made, to new hard plastic MiFare encoded professionally printed IDs that were not embarrassing to show during meetings.
- Rolled out a new Managed Print Service throughout the Organisation to make it a uniformed printer at every office which works, and controllable by the ID cards we had created.
- Running round half the country to migrate the larger remote offices networks from some old MPLS networks at 256k up to a much improved 2Mb network
- Implementation of a brand spanking new vSphere 4.1 virtualisation environment, based on Server 2008R2 to replace the old hardware, on some brand new shiney “bits of tin” which were Poweredge R710’s
- Rolled out a brand new Secure Remote Access solution for the organisation which used RSA tokens and Bitlocker encryption.
- and many more small projects involving VPNs, Blackberry handsets, training users on some stuff, internal blogs and forums, and the obligatory need to do my own job at the same time.
That’s only a small part of what I actually remember, it has been 2 years of constant motion so I am sure there are smaller things I have missed out but its been interesting in some ways.
But, it all had to come to an end one day… So on a mild morning at the end of March I went for a job interview with another company in Belfast. I had been interviewing for a few months previous and they had never came to much, so I didn’t hold out much hope and thought I would go through the motions anyway. Come the end of April and I received a phone call from their HR Department making me an offer.
My last day of work with my previous company was officially the 25th of May 2012. 8 years and 8 months after I started with them as a lowly temporary employee, which lasted 2 years and 5 months before I got a chance to work full time for them. We started as a tiny group who had to deal with only 9 servers, and 25 sites throughout Northern Ireland, and it grew in those years to being in excess of 50 physical servers, 46 physical sites and a Disaster Recovery site which saw more disasters than the main office ever did.
So where does that leave me now? Hopefully being able to blog a bit more
and uploading new photos to the newly updated Gallery
(which co-incidentally broke a LOT of pictures in very very old blog posts) using a little android app called Xotof
Lots of things coming up in the future as well, first thing being a trip to Boston in the US with work for a week… lets hope the hotel has decent wifi so I can upload photos and update this blog 😆
Holy crap, that is a wall of text!